In this database information that is accumulated and held by film commissions throughout the country is gathered in one location on the Internet and made accessible to both people in Japan and those from overseas. The purpose of which is to inform people of attractive filming locations in Japan, promote filming in Japan, and invigorate the Japanese film industry.
In order to promote the usage of the “Japan Location Database” (https://www.jldb.bunka.go.jp/en/), which was built by the Agency for Cultural Affairs to centrally manage and distribute the information retained by film commissions throughout the country, the following five activities will be implemented.
(1) Activities promoting the registration of, and dissemination of knowledge to, each film commission to enrich registration data.
• Hold hearings regarding the latest location information, filming/shooting information, and more (e.g., filming locations, determinants, difficulties regarding a particular location, advice to registrants, etc.)
• Provide explanations on information registration points from the secretariat after receiving the results of hearings.
• Collect information from each registrant.
• Provide public information on the results of previous filming sessions, introduce examples of joint promotions, etc.
(2) Improve environments and strengthen systems related to location promotion activities in each film commission.
• Hold workshops on location promotion activities with each film commission.
• Collect information and coordinate with each film commission with regard to support for accepting filming requests, improving filming environments, etc.
• Create manuals for each film commission regarding location promotion activities.
(3) Collect information on the activities of each film commission and provide that information in the database.
• In order to disseminate information regarding the activities of each film commission, related organizations, etc., collect information on said activities and provide that information in the database.
(4) Review old functions and examine new functionality to promote the usage of the database.
• Link together with the dissemination of information through official movie websites, social media pages, etc.
Information regarding a location, which is the initial information provided in the database, is accompanied by a number of conditions, and as a general rule, emphasis is placed on locations where filming is possible. However, in order to provide more detailed information, we will examine specific measures to take regarding cooperation with external sites run by third parties, proposing new functionalities and identifying issues and solutions after clearing considerations related to information provision, such as the handling of rights.
(5) Create proposals, etc., for effective ways to disseminate useful information from the database.
• In order to disseminate useful location information in the future, we will propose functional improvements, such as system requirements, from the perspective of both users and registrants.